Anyone hiring at the moment?

Ovid publiustemp-londonpm at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 21 16:48:31 BST 2009

----- Original Message ----

> From: Andy Armstrong <andy at hexten.net>
>
> On 21 Sep 2009, at 16:14, David Cantrell wrote:
> > You could be the single solitary perl coder who volunteers to work at
> > BBC North ...
>

> Tell me more...

Actually, not much to tell.  The BBC decided to move a bunch of people up north to Salford, but apparently forgot to ask us if we'd be willing to move there.  We're not :)  (at the very least, the developers I've talked to have all mentioned things like "I like London" and "I like living somewhere where jobs are available")

Frustrating, really. There's plenty of evidence (there's a William Whyte study that I can't find a link to right now) that large-scale moves like this fail dramatically.  I strongly suspect that the BBC didn't do any research into other companies which have tried something like this.  If they had, they might have approached this differently.

Cheers,
Ovid
--
Buy the book         - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/