Anyone hiring at the moment?

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Mon Sep 21 17:07:34 BST 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Steve Mynott <steve at gruntling.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 04:04:45PM +0100, Aaron Trevena typed:
>
>> actual instances of companies switching rather than adding new
>> technology to the mix, and then Java or Python fanboyz labelling
>> existing perl Legacy - one amusing example is Sift in bristol who've
>> been "moving to Java" for about 8 years and are still looking for Perl
>> coders with Java skills to do it.
>
> This seems to be a basic logical flaw in many migration plans.
>
> If you want to migrate from language A to B because you think
> it's easier to get programmers in B then you will end trying
> to hire programmers with skills in languages A *and* B when
> you failed to get people with just A.

In fairness you generally only need people that can *read* the
original language. Porting is generally much easier than creating from
scratch without no reference implementation.

We've fairly successfully gutted a PHP + C++ app and turned it into
Perl. There are bits of PHP left here & there and they're being
removed as the business cases come up to do so.

Paul