Anyone hiring at the moment?

Mike Stok mike at stok.ca
Mon Sep 21 21:03:14 BST 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 2:10 PM, Ovid wrote:

> [...]

In Peopleware (a favourite read of mine...) Tom DeMarco comments about
the AT&T move of the ESS1 project in the late 1960s:

Years after the ESS cutover, I arranged to interview Ray Ketchledge
who had run the project. I was writing some essays on management of
large efforts, and ESS certainly qualified. I asked him what he saw as
his main successes and failures as boss. "Forget the successes," he
said. "The failure was that move. You can't believe what it cost us in
turnover." He went on to give some figures. The immediately calculable
cost of the move was the number of people who quit before relocation
day. Expressed as a percentage of those moved, this initial turnover
was greater than the French losses in the trenches of World War I.

—TDM

> Deliberately firing employees and moving is such a stupid idea that
> it borders on willful negligence.

True.

Mike

--