Anyone hiring at the moment?

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Mon Sep 21 23:25:14 BST 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 15:16, Abigail wrote:

>> I've been bumming around contracting for the last few months - but I
>> think that a regular salary probably suits me (and my slackness about
>> invoicing) better. Is anyone interesting hiring at the moment or has
>> this financial meltdown thing (news of which has reached even the
>> provinces) stopped all the fun?
>
> Well, we (booking.com) are. But that unfortunally requires a
> relocation
> to (or near) Amsterdam, and I can't imagine anyone willing to do that.

At solfo.com we hire skilled Perl people once in a while too, but
we're even farther away!  (Los Angeles; although only half of us are
there)   :-)

There are a good number of Perl shops around here actually; I think
it's some combination of a reasonable number of big shops using Perl
and enough people leaving those places to start new companies (and
then using Perl).

In other parts of the country not so much; you need a certain pool of
jobs and workers to keep it going (and growing, hopefully).   It's
probably the same in London vs outside-London.

The best solution?  Start you own company and hire Perl
developers!  :-)   (I'll leave the missing steps as an exercise to the
reader).

   - ask