Anyone hiring at the moment?

Richard Foley Richard.Foley at rfi.net
Tue Sep 22 09:05:16 BST 2009

What, relocate to Amsterdam, whatever for?  Without investigation, I'd be
prepared to bet that booking.com does most of it's "booking" online,
remotely.  So almost the entire client base is remote, all transactions
completed online, it's entire business model is remote.  Except the
workers...

At the moment, I'm living in Munich and working one week in Rotterdam and one
week at home, working remotely via a very handy little SSH tunnel, you know,
the sort which encrypts your data so companies don't have to be worried about
leaking critical information when the defence minister leaves a folder of top
secret documents about the invasion in the back of a taxi on his daily
commute to work.  Mostly, I come in to work in Rotterdam every other week to
show my face so that the project managers can see that I appear to be
working.  I'm being a bit unfair to my current employer here, because I CAN
work remotely half the time, but this doesn't excuse my still having to sit
at my desk like a bozo the other half of the time.  That the work is still
completed, more efficiently and with milestones reached, when I am not in the
office does not seem to register with most managers, as they appear to need
to see head counts sitting at desks rather than having work completed on
schedule.  It's not a results driven industry we're working in, it's a people
counting and mini-empire building industry.  Sigh...

--
Richard Foley
Ciao - shorter than aufwiedersehen

http://www.rfi.net/