Beer was Re: Anyone drinking at the moment?

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Wed Sep 30 10:11:30 BST 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 09:53:35AM +0100, Steve Mynott wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 09:02:12AM -0700, Ovid typed:
>
> > Gotta disagree on this one.  IPA in the states is *awful*.  I actually like
> > it over here.  Plus, US beers (even the quality ones) are often very fizzy.
> > A bit too much for my taste.  I know the microbreweries in Portland are
> > fantastic, but they generally don't ship over here.
>
> I thought Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was *excellent*, although there
> was a tendancy for some to be over hopped.
>
> BTW I read a report that beer in 2/3 pint measures was to be allowed
> in the UK.  It also claimed that currently 1/3 pint measures were
> available and legal in the UK.  I wondered if anyone had ever seen
> this?

As I understand it the law is that draft beer must be dispensed into crown
(or EU) stamped glasses, which are in (integer) multiples of 1/3, 1/2 or 1
pint.

So I infer that if you can get a stamped 2/3 glass, it's legal.

I have seen 1/3rd glasses - Greg, Kake and I went to a Wetherspoon's beer
festival where they were selling three thirds of different beers. I found
this *extremely* dangerous - I can neck (and enjoy) a third pint glass very
rapidly. And then there are 2 more. And then they are all gone.

IIRC, these 1/3rd glasses were EU stamped, but I don't have a picture of
this. I'm sure Napoleon must be spinning in his grave - 1/3rd of a pint is
189 1/3 ml, and it amuses me no end that the EU are officially sanctioning
a vulgar fraction.

Nicholas Clark