Anyone hiring at the moment?

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Wed Sep 30 19:23:14 BST 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:40:30AM -0700, Simon Batistoni said:
> This coming from someone who was convinced that he'd never have a decent
> beer again when he first moved Stateside.

Mr Batistoni had done much of the pioneering, trail blazing work for me
when I moved out to SF including introducing me to the fantastic
Toronados (and the adjacent Rosamunde's sausage shop) with its bevy of
fantastic microbrews and Belgian ales.

That said, whilst I do love certain American beers my major complaint is
that their IPAs are nothing like our IPAs. Not to say I don't like
'their' style but quite often they tend to be almost too hoppy and
they're still quite fizzy and I find my self craving a pint of Hen or
Pride - something nutty and not as gaseous.

The Mad Dog In The Fog, opposite Toronaos does have Pride on tap but
it's inexplicably nitrokegged which renders it almost undrinkable.

Fortunately Whole Foods, for all their other sins, have a large and
decent selection of bottled British beers from Youngs (inc Double
Chocolate Stout) and Fullers to St Peters and Sam Smiths and even Black
Sheep, Badger and Wychwood.

All that said - given a choice between a pint of Directors and a pint of
Anchor Steam or Sierra Pale Ale during lunch up in the mountains during
ski season I'd go for the American beers everytime.