Beer was Re: Anyone drinking at the moment?

Tony Kennick 0995a06aaeaf6b70e79c3aafd6719329 at half.pint.org.uk
Fri Oct 2 00:43:01 BST 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:11:30AM +0100,
the following was promulgated by Nicholas Clark:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 09:53:35AM +0100, Steve Mynott wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 09:02:12AM -0700, Ovid typed:
> >
> > > Gotta disagree on this one.  IPA in the states is *awful*.  I actually like
> > > it over here.  Plus, US beers (even the quality ones) are often very fizzy.
> > > A bit too much for my taste.  I know the microbreweries in Portland are
> > > fantastic, but they generally don't ship over here.
> >
> > I thought Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was *excellent*, although there
> > was a tendancy for some to be over hopped.
> >
> > BTW I read a report that beer in 2/3 pint measures was to be allowed
> > in the UK.  It also claimed that currently 1/3 pint measures were
> > available and legal in the UK.  I wondered if anyone had ever seen
> > this?
>
> As I understand it the law is that draft beer must be dispensed into crown
> (or EU) stamped glasses, which are in (integer) multiples of 1/3, 1/2 or 1
> pint.

It is 1/3 of a pint and integer multiples of 1/2 pints, so while one
point five pint glasses are fine two thirds glasses will need a change.

> So I infer that if you can get a stamped 2/3 glass, it's legal.

No, see above, but it has been through a formal consultation:
http://www.nmo.bis.gov.uk/fileuploads/Docs/Legislation/SFQ/Specified_Quantities_DIUS_Press_Release_Oct_08.pdf

> I have seen 1/3rd glasses - Greg, Kake and I went to a Wetherspoon's beer
> festival where they were selling three thirds of different beers. I found
> this *extremely* dangerous - I can neck (and enjoy) a third pint glass very
> rapidly. And then there are 2 more. And then they are all gone.

I love the fact that tasting palletes of 3 different thirds are becoming
popular to help you decide between guest beers.

--
        Tony Kennick
        Web: http://www.pint.org.uk/ Blog: http://blog.pint.org.uk/