keyboards/RSI/switching costs (was Looking for a secondhand Datahand Pro II)

Philip Potter philip.g.potter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 08:56:23 BST 2009

2009/10/21 Jacqui Caren-home <jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com>:
> Smylers wrote:
>>
>> You shouldn't; you should use an editor which has completion on words
>> which are used in your project.
>
> I use a few with completions - with no one being best for the various
> languages I use.
>
> Which brings up what perl editors do people use and why?

The best thing you can do is find an editor you like and customise it
to suit perl. Conway's Perl Best Practices has example customisations
for vim, vile and emacs which are worth a look.

Even better, give the editor different modes to suit perl when writing
perl, php when writing php, and javascript when writing javascript.

I personally use vim, though if and when Padre gets good I will switch
to that. I'm currently trying to add extract subroutine and rename
variable to it, but it's easier said than done...

Phil