Production databases on SSDs?

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Tue Nov 10 17:46:48 GMT 2009

Ovid wrote:
> [...]

Have a search through the PostgreSQL mailing-list archives for various
discussions. Like Elizabeth mentioned, transaction logs* can be a good
choice, as are mostly-read indexes of course. Recent MySQL supports
tablespaces, but I don't know if you can just put an index on a
table-space or you have to move your whole table + all its indexes onto
it. If your disks are spending most of their time seeking rather than
reading data it's a win.

I don't think there's any useful data about reliability yet, just
because most models aren't that old. The performance degradation issues
that got widely reported on the Intel drives suggests there is still a
lot to learn about these things.

* - it's not the transaction logs themselves that are the problem so
much as having constant small writes to them causing the disk heads to
seek back and fore. This is why you tend to put them on their own disks.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd