Help me become a Londoner!

Denny 2009 at denny.me
Thu Nov 19 13:29:55 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 12:37 +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:20:34PM +0100, Gianni Ceccarelli wrote:
> > - which areas should I be looking around, for a largish (60m²)
> >   apartment for under £800/month, within a half-hour commute (by
> >   train?) to the centre?
>
> journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk is your friend for figuring out journey times.

Or just journeyplanner.org if you're a lazy typist like me.

> > - is there a no-interest, no-fees, everything-on-the-web bank that can
> >   be trusted (at least a bit :) ) with my money?
>
> You'll have to go to a brick-and-mortar branch to open the account, but
> Barclays fits the bill, and is the least bankrupt of the big names.

I use Smile, which is the online brand of the Co-operative, who are one
of the few banks with an ethical policy (and, as with the building
societies someone mentioned earlier, no shareholders driving corporate
greed).  Their onlinebanking works very well, even in Firefox on Linux,
which I understand is not the case with some other banks.