Brazilian PM looking for a job in London area

Dave Hodgkinson davehodg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 20:52:33 GMT 2010

On 11 Jan 2010, at 16:16, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> I think that's more a property of language than English specifically.
> I'd be curious to hear of any language where grammar/idiom errors
> suddenly render it incomprehensible.

The French spit in your face if you get it wrong.

And mis-tone Mandarin and you're like to be insulting someone's
ancestors. Try gui (mistletoe), guī (39 meanings), guí (a river in
Shanxi), guǐ (25 meanings but usually "good") , or guì (45 meanings
but usually "expensve").

>> I've worked in Holland, France, Germany and now have lots of Taiwanese
>> friends and it's been...interesting :)
>
> Because you keep insisting how Great Britain is? ;-)

Pfst.

Dave Hodgkinson                                MSN: davehodg at hotmail.com
Site: http://www.davehodgkinson.com                  UK: +44 7768 490620
Blog: http://www.davehodgkinson.com/blog