Looking for a Perl development position in London

mirod mirod at xmltwig.com
Fri Feb 5 08:41:04 GMT 2010

Raphael Mankin wrote:

> It's 9 months of full salary more expensive to hire a woman who gets
> pregnant, takes her full maternity leave and then decides not to return to
> work. Adding on to this  advertising, time to review CVs, time to interview
> and so on, the cost of recruitment can itself run into thousands.

Actually the data I have seems to indicate that the salary does not come
entirely out of the employer's pocket, but that 92% of it is refunded by the
government (source: 2004 data from
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/products/indwm/ww2005/tab5c.htm )

BTW it is quite striking that there are currently 3 countries that do not offer
any maternity leave: Swaziland, the USA and Australia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_leave )

--
mirod