Best practice for variables shared between processes?

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Tue Sep 21 13:31:01 BST 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 01:20:08PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:

>My first choice would be to just use the filesystem.  Have the
>producer(s) write its files somewhere and then mv them to a directory
>that the consumer knows about once it's completely written.

OK, a bit more detail. This is a pretty lightweight thing; the idea is
for the producer to generate and cache sound files from a text-to-speech
system, while the consumer plays them over VoIP. (This is all happening
inside an AGI script.) That way there should be a delay while it's
generating the first file, but by the time that has been played the
second file ought to be ready.

So the consumer should not delete the files once it's played them,
because they might be useful later. Of course there would be no
difficulty in creating a second set of files which contained pointers to
the first, and _those_ could be deleted once used.