Someone needs to take jwz aside...

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Wed Apr 20 12:12:41 BST 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:06:27PM +0100, Bill Crawford wrote:
> On 20 April 2011 11:59, Peter Edwards <peter at dragonstaff.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Go ahead and write CPAN modules requiring perl 5.12 and up to date Moose
> > then watch organisations throw Perl out the window and replace it with Java.
> > Like I'm seeing right now because they end up stuck requiring particular
> > versions of libraries to work and rolling upgrades are not company policy or
> > are politically inexpedient.
> > You can get away that if you're running it on your Macbook or in a small
> > central team, good luck on a large corporate platform.
>
> *Like*
>
> It is frustrating to try to get a recent version of anything at all
> onto a server that's destined to sit in a data centre for five years,
> and needs to have a relatively stable install so it won't randomly
> break ...

I don't get this.

If it's supposed to be relatively stable, you shouldn't install new
things, and there's no need to put something recent of anything at
all on it.

Or you install new things, which may need an upgrade of other stuff,
but if you're installing new stuff the environment isn't relatively
stable.

Abigail