Someone needs to take jwz aside...

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Wed Apr 20 13:29:40 BST 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:22, Bill Crawford <billcrawford1970 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If (as recently happened) you discover a dependency chain that leads
> to CPAN complaining that you need a newer perl because it's a core
> module ... it gets extra annoying.

+1

cpan[1]> install Term::ReadLine

The most recent version "1.07" of the module "Term::ReadLine"
is part of the perl-5.13.11 distribution. To install that, you need to run
  force install Term::ReadLine   --or--
  install F/FL/FLORA/perl-5.13.11.tar.gz

Awesome. A development version of perl.
Let's see if I can pull in a recent stable perl:

cpan[2]> install perl
Warning: Cannot install perl, don't know what it is.

cpan[3]> install perl-latest
Warning: Cannot install perl-latest, don't know what it is.

cpan[4]> install perl-stable
Warning: Cannot install perl-stable, don't know what it is.

cpan[5]> install perl-5.14
Warning: Cannot install perl-5.14, don't know what it is.

cpan[6]> install perl-5.12
Warning: Cannot install perl-5.12, don't know what it is.

cpan[7]> install perl5.12
Warning: Cannot install perl5.12, don't know what it is.

*gives up*

"Cannot install perl, don't know what it is."

Paul