Someone needs to take jwz aside...

Pedro Figueiredo me at pedrofigueiredo.org
Wed Apr 20 18:45:45 BST 2011

On 20 Apr 2011, at 09:40, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

> http://www.jwz.org/blog/2011/04/a-badge-for-the-software-industrys-failures/
>
> Or does he have a point?

He might or might not have a point. The truth is, as someone working in a Java shop where the core business is writing games, as long as this happens whenever we need a web server for a non-core service, it's PHP, because Ops don't even have to think about it.

And as for the Java bloat, who cares, it's all packaged nicely and automagically in the JAR, and there's Maven to deal with the dependencies. File size of said JAR doesn't mean squat, we're not on 33.6kbps modems anymore (and please don't mention Shipwright - which I use personally, btw - that still is several orders of magnitude more work than running 'mvn deploy'.

Cheers,

Pedro