Someone needs to take jwz aside...

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 22:57:18 BST 2011

On 20 April 2011 20:51, Abigail <abigail at abigail.be> wrote:

> I've been trying to tell people for many, many years that this is a good
> way to deliver applications, but Perl programmers seem to be stuck in the
> 60s; and the mere thought of having two copies of a text file takes too
> much costly diskspace.
>
> I replied to someone on dbix-class list this week how to install multiple
perl/libs/libarry trees including system libraries (i.e. C, C++) and be able
to build new servers easily
http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/dbix-class/2011-April/009891.html
And of course Piers Cawley has done some great work at the BBC on automating
This Sort Of Thing.
Credits also to Steve Mynott who proved g4l works great for bulk imaging of
Linux distro configs for new machines when he built a new cluster of app and
database servers for our department recently.
Thinking about it I didn't mention pkgsrc for system libraries. It's pretty
good although it can whack you in the back of the head as a colleague found
out when building our dev machine subversion and then suddenly the
client-side developers started getting shareable library errors :-}

Regards, Peter
http://perl.dragonstaff.co.uk