Xcode 4.0.2 and XS modules

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Fri Apr 22 22:20:13 BST 2011

Apple, evil bastards that they are, don't ship with GCC installed. You
have to install Xcode to get it. And now, because apparently raping
puppies to death with nuns or whatever it is they do for fun, isn't
sufficiently evil you have to buy Xcode. True it's only $4 but it's
still a giant fuck you.

What's even worse is that apparently the version you can buy - 4.0.2 -
doesn't come with a PPC assembler. Which would be fine. Except that the
system Perl is built *with* arch ppc. So now no CPAN modules with XS
will build.

Beyond installing my own Perl (which I can do but is kind of a ball
ache) what's the best solution to this. I've found an old copy of Xcode
on their site now after some poking around but saying "Install an old
version of software" is a less than ideal solution.