Xcode 4.0.2 and XS modules

Jesse Vincent jesse at fsck.com
Sat Apr 23 02:45:37 BST 2011

Ah. So _this_ is what fucked jwz.

Simon Wistow <simon at thegestalt.org> wrote:

Apple, evil bastards that they are, don't ship with GCC installed. You have to install Xcode to get it. And now, because apparently raping puppies to death with nuns or whatever it is they do for fun, isn't sufficiently evil you have to buy Xcode. True it's only $4 but it's still a giant fuck you. What's even worse is that apparently the version you can buy - 4.0.2 - doesn't come with a PPC assembler. Which would be fine. Except that the system Perl is built *with* arch ppc. So now no CPAN modules with XS will build. Beyond installing my own Perl (which I can do but is kind of a ball ache) what's the best solution to this. I've found an old copy of Xcode on their site now after some poking around but saying "Install an old version of software" is a less than ideal solution.