Perl in shared hosting environments

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 12:04:47 BST 2011

On 21/09/11 11:38, Leo Lapworth wrote:
> <snip>
>
> On 21 September 2011 11:21, Dirk Koopman<djk at tobit.co.uk>  wrote:
>>
>>   For what it is worth, I stopped using mod_perl (as well as Apache) several
>> years ago and moved onto other webservers and FastCGI.
>>

> As long as your not completely integrated to mod_perl hooks, e.g. your
> mostly using it for precompile speed up...
>
> Check out Plack:
>
> http://plackperl.org/   - https://metacpan.org/module/Plack
>
> http://blog.plackperl.org/2011/08/plack-basics-for-perl-websites-yapceu-2011.html
>
> Then you can switch between mod_perl / FastCGI / Starman / Twiggy to your
> hearts content (we found Starman is REALLY fast).

I am happy to be educated, but I found Plack introduced a load of
dependencies that I did not want, it *is* another layer which cannot
help but reduce speed - which may not matter - but did to me at the time.

> You also get a lot (160+ modules) of nice middleware available.

More software to, at least potentially, "get in the way" or add
unnecessary dependencies or unwanted constraints.

But I will look at it again soon.

Dirk