Perl Skills Test

'lesleyb' lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Wed Sep 28 18:29:26 BST 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 05:30:09PM +0100, Paul Tweedy wrote:
> On 28 September 2011 17:05, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 04:07:50PM +0100, Paul Tweedy wrote:
> >
> >> I know three people (all good engineers) who lost their jobs this year
> >> and are struggling to find work, so I find it hard to complain about
> >> any sort of adjustment to my salary in the current climate.
> >
> > I think that amongst my circle of good engineer* friends and
> > acquaintances, someone has been out of work and having trouble finding
> > any for *all* of the last ten years, so I am unmoved by their plight.
>
> I'll be sure to let them know.
As someone who has been out of work for far too long I'm with DC on this one.
You either get work in somehow or re-train.

> > And "not able to find any work" usually means "not able to find any work
> > that I like and that pays lots of money", so I am moved even less.
>
> != true I'm afraid. They just have the temerity to not live in (and
> are unable to move to) the south east or near a major city.
I've moved around for the sole purposes of staying in work: working out in the
sticks, 'oop North' in a city as well as 'daarn Sarf' in three cities incl. London.
The job-for-life died a long time ago.  When the job dies and you're out in the
sticks it is either time to move or, if there is a good reason to stay where
you are - decrepit parents, A-level or GCSE kids - then you have to look for
either remote or different work or create your own.

Yes I am out there, it is tough, highly competitive and it isn't getting any
easier.

Kind Regards

Lesley