Perl xls to xlsx converter

Chris Jack chris_jack at msn.com
Fri Dec 9 13:32:04 GMT 2011

Apologies in advance for asking a perl question.

Laziness/Impatience:

Does anyone have a perl Excel converter they would be prepared to send me? I would like to convert Excel 2002/2003 .xls files to Excel 2007/2010 .xlsx files maintaining all formatting. I know there are non-perl free products to do this, but I would like something I can easily alter.

I had a look around on CPAN/google. It looked like work to combine things like ParseExcel with Excel::Writer::XLSX so I was hoping someone might have done this for me already.

Spreadsheet::Read looks like a good idea, but it would be an even better idea if Spreadsheet::Write handled more output formats and took Spreadsheet::Read data structures as input.

Hubris: You have my permission to feel smug. :-)

Regards
Chris