Should I work in the US or the UK? - which pays best?

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Wed Dec 14 01:17:04 GMT 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:07:12PM +1100, Toby Wintermute said:
> Just wanted to chip in and say -- why are you only considering the US or the UK?
> If you're looking for a nice English-speaking city which employs
> Perlmongers, have you considered Melbourne or Sydney in Australia?

Well, the original reason this thread kicked off, was I think, "Is it
more expensive to run a dev team in the US than in the UK?"

My one comment on Oz is ... whilst I don't mind being 5500 miles away
from my family it's comforting to know I can be on a plane and back in
about 15 hours if something happens.

There are far fewer flights back to the UK from Australia and they take
much longer. I think when I worked it out last time the average time for
me to get back to the UK if the flag went up, so to speak, was about 48
hours.

Not that that should stop you - the quality of life in Sydney and
Melbourne are astonishingly high - but it's a point to mention.