Laptop Recommendation

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Mon Jan 23 18:17:25 GMT 2012

Andrew Jones writes:

> On 23 January 2012 12:51, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:
>
> > The ThinkPad X220 also looks plausible. Anybody able to report on
> > the touchpad? Or whether they off warranty extensions to 4 years?
>
> I have the X220. The touchpad seems OK to me.

Thanks.

> My main problem with the X220 touchpad is when I use too fingers to
> scroll, it either doesn't register or ends up jumping half the page.

Hmmm, doesn't sound good. Which OS do you use?

I realize that I stupidly omitted to state that I'll be running Ubuntu
on whatever I buy.

Is two-finger scrolling any good (when it works, obviously)? I've never
had a system where that was an option.

The touchpad set-up I liked (on my Dell X300, running Gnome) was:

* circular scrolling (put finger at 12 o'clock to initiate, then draw
  clockwise circles to scroll down the page, anticlockwise for up --
  much more natural in practice than it sounds to describe)
* horizontal scrolling by sliding across the base of the touchpad
* single-finger stab for left-click
* two-finger stab for middle-click
* three-finger stab for right-click

I'd be very happy to get back to that, but I'm open to persuasion that
something else would be even better.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2