BBC jobs

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 12:57:00 BST 2012

On 16/04/2012, at 9:44 PM, David Cantrell wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 04:15:00PM +0100, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
>
>> In case anyone missed this:
>>
>> http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=2859626
>
> And for those who aren't on Linked In?

Job Description

BBC Future Media is looking for experienced, professional and enthusiastic Perl Developers to join our world-class team responsible for delivering services to a suite of major BBC online products, including BBC iPlayer and the BBC homepage.

The Publishing Services team is our team dedicated to the ingest and serving of public-facing BBC and non-BBC programme and user metadata. We are part of the Core Services team which is the core engineering team in our Programmes and On Demand (POD) department which is in turn part of the wider BBC Future Media (FM) division. Core Services provides shared software/hardware services built to power BBC Online’s programme based propositions across a range of platforms from web to mobile and IPTV. These services include programme metadata APIs, rights and metadata management tools, as well as audio and video transcoding.

The roles require an excellent knowledge of Perl, web frameworks (Catalyst, Mason, TT) RESTful web services, security, caching, architecting for performance, mysql and web standards, along with proven experience of working in a mixed discipline team on large scale web application projects.

The roles also involve the possibility of cross-training into Java, and candidates should be prepared to move into Java development when appropriate.

Key Responsibilities

• To write robust, scalable, high-performance, world-class code using object oriented Perl, Apache, mysql, memcached and other server side technologies to create dynamic web applications with multiple data serialisations
•	To write reusable code libraries as well as application specific object-oriented software
•	To write unit and functional tests within automated test environments to ensure code quality
•	To write concise yet comprehensive technical documentation - for APIs and other interfaces
• To work with web service developers, system administrators, information architects, client side developers and QA to develop fast and dynamic web applications.
•	To work with all relevant parties on the deployment of applications to the live site and all intermediate hosting environments.
Desired Skills & Experience

Essential Knowledge and Experience

•	Demonstrable competence in one or more established web frameworks (eg Catalyst, Mason, TT, Zope, Django, Spring)
•	Strong familiarity with Apache API, mysql and a modern Perl ORM
• Proven experience working on a large mission critical code base, maintaining a regular release cycle, while ensuring the overall performance and stability of the product.
•	Strong SQL database experience and sound understanding of data normalization, database design, query tuning and transaction management.
•	Ability to work in an unstructured, fast changing environment with rapid release cycles
•	Proven experience of project working and commercial web development processes - particularly Agile methodologies
•	Experience of working in an environment where products have to be delivered to specific time-scales
•	An ability to rapidly and effectively understand and translate product and business requirements into technical solutions
•	Experience of supporting, modifying and maintaining systems and code developed by teams other than your own
•	Experience of software quality practice - eg TDD, continuous integration, version control automation, software metrics

Desirable Knowledge and Experience

•	Memcached/nosql experience
•	Java experience
•	Experience working on high volume, highly available, horizontally scalable architectures
•	Amazon simpleDB, CouchDB, MapReduce or any experience with Object DBs

Additional Information:

• We are recruiting for various levels of Perl Software Engineers and the information on this page is a generic overview. For more detailed information on the specific requirements of each level and to apply, please follow the link and download the full job description at the foot of the page. During the application process, please indicate which level(s) you would be most interested in applying for when prompted.
•	Please note that the salary available for the role depends on which level of experience you are considered for.
• We will be advertising this position until May 3rd. We will review applications after 2 weeks and then after the May 3rd close date.
•	 Your application will be reviewed and if successful we will send you a coding task to complete. If that task is completed successfully then we would be delighted to invite you in for a face to face interview where you will get to know more about the role, the team, the department and the wider organisation and answer any queries you may have.
Additional Information

Type:
Full-time
Experience:
Mid-Senior level
Functions:
Information Technology
Industries:
Broadcast Media, Information Technology and Services
Employer Job ID:
802533
Job ID:
2859626