25 Years of Perl

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Fri Nov 23 08:11:50 GMT 2012

On 11/23/2012 02:43 AM, Andrew Savige wrote:

  Damian's Coy
> module 1999 and subsequent explosion of interest in haiku.

one of my favorite damian stories is about his talk on coy.pm. this was
early damian and tpc didn't schedule him more time or a large enough
room. he was given back to back 30 minute slots for coy.pm and some
other talk (forgotten now as you will see). the room sat maybe 70 people
and was packed way beyond that as word about damian had gotten around.
damian did his coy.pm talk and just kept going over into his second
slot. NO one told him to stop and no one seem to mind. he filled the 2nd
slot with more about coy.pm. the second talk was never given i think.

another early damian story. he won the best technical paper at tpc1. at
tpc 2 the tech paper judging was down to two top papers (authorship was
hidden from the judges). they couldn't decide on the winner. turns out
both were by damian! they disallowed him to enter again by naming the
award after him. the next year, i co-authored the paper on faster
sorting in perl and we won the award only because damian wasn't in the
competition. eventually i did write a module implementing the ideas in
that paper which became Sort::Maker.

uri