Perl outreach

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Fri Nov 30 01:41:58 GMT 2012

On 27 Nov 2012, at 13:31, James Laver wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2012, at 13:10, Bob Walker <bob at randomness.org.uk> wrote:
>>

>> I cant quite decide if the fact that it installs a module's dependencies in the directory of the module you're installing is insane or a very good idea.
>
> I like this. I note that both sbt (scala) and leiningen (clojure) do this also. I presume it's a java standard thing. Normally it dumps a jar in there of course.

Tis.

Also leiningen explicitly supports an 'uberjar' target out the box so that you can do this yourself (see bundler in ruby).

$ork has code to make a library uber-jar, by re-namespacing all the jars in your project for you…. It may see the light of github at some point - but this 'making a dependency free jar' practice is a common pattern for libraries to avoid transitive dependency issues (as their model is generally specific version, rather than our high water mark and praying).

Cheers
t0m