npm, PyPi overtake CPAN

Edmund von der Burg evdb at ecclestoad.co.uk
Fri May 24 09:20:39 BST 2013

CPAN is excellent for its uniformity. The names of modules are predictable,
the documentation is consistently presented, the search good, publishing
fairly straightforward and installing trivial.

pypi (I find) is appalling. Names are all over the place, searching bad,
docs ugly, installing reasonable-ish, publishing confusing and then
unsatisfying.

NPM is overwhelmingly superb with regards to publishing. The steps to
publish are extensions to the steps to creating the module in the first
place so it is very little extra work. And once published the modules are
instantly available (no waiting on mirror syncing) so you can publish and
then install as a way to work - which really encourages publishing smaller
bits of code. The docs are also good as the convention is becoming a
README.md that explains most of it, and a separate site for the details if
required.

Both pypi and npm allow you to install from repo urls, which is most handy.
I'm not sure if cpan can do this, although I guess there is no reason why
not.

NPM is great, I believe, because it is the youngest and has cherry picked
the best bits from the others.

Can't comment on Ruby.

Cheers,
  Edmundp