Living with smart match breakage

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Jul 4 11:11:46 BST 2013

On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 05:41:31PM +1000, Toby Wintermute wrote:
> On 15 June 2013 09:03, Gordon Banner <tech at gordonbanner.me.uk> wrote:
> > Finally, the OP mentioned "convoluted boilerplate" and was offered
> >
> > no warnings 'experimental::smartmatch';
> > # or
> > use experimental 'smartmatch';
> Try putting either of those in a Perl version prior to 5.17! It just
> fails out at compile time.

Really?

$ perl -E 'use experimental "smartmatch";say "it works in perl $^V"'
it works in perl v5.12.4

> I reckon the convoluted boilerplate mentioned involves putting tests
> for perl versions around those, which is indeed convoluted.

It's a good thing that the 'experimental' pragma does that for you then.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

  I remember when computers were frustrating because they did
  exactly what you told them to.  That seems kinda quaint now.
      -- JD Baldwin, in the Monastery