Perl publishing and attracting new developers

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Sep 18 15:57:27 BST 2013

On 2013-09-18 15:22, gvim wrote:
> My question was about what others perceive to be the reasons for the
> dearth of Perl books and the lack of range in subject matter compared
> with the proliferation of new titles in the Ruby and Python
> communities.

I wonder whether part of the answer to this question lies in the fact
that the things that could be covered in Perl books about frameworks,
Moose, etc are fairly well documented and that the documentation is
easily available.

Why should I spend money on books which wont necessarily contain
anything that I cannot already get more conveniently and at less expense
by reading the POD?

This is not to say that the above means there is no possible demand for
such new books but it *may* mean that a large part of the potential
market (ie those already using Perl) wont be interested.

> These considerations also apply to Ruby and Python authors but it
> hasn't stopped them pumping them out by the barrel-load.

Is the easily available and free documentation for those languages as
good as that available for Perl?

Of course there is also the possibility that publishers are generally
reacting to perceived market demand and they simply perceive more demand
for python/ruby/...

All of this is not to say there are no new books. There is a new
edition of Mastering Perl on the way.