Perl publishing and attracting new developers

Philippe Bruhat (BooK) philippe.bruhat at free.fr
Thu Sep 19 10:49:25 BST 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 08:46:35PM +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On 19 September 2013 19:41, Philippe Bruhat (BooK)
> <philippe.bruhat at free.fr>wrote:
>
> > That book needs a chapter about the secret operators. ;-)
>

> I disagree, I don't see much value in promoting esoteric ways to use Perl.
>
> We just need to promote things that are good, and things that are awesome,
> and things that make programming in Perl *better*, things that serve as
> compelling arguments to use a more modern Perl, things that serve to
> inspire people to use more *CPAN*

I was merely reacting to the proposed "You don't know Perl" title,
and thought the smiley expressed how deeply serious I was on the topic.

On the other hand ,"Advanced Perl Programming, 2nd Edition" had a chapter
devoted to "Fun with Perl", mentioning golf, obfuscated Perl and the
Acme:: namespace. These things are also part of the Perl community, so
maybe a book "targeted explicitly at people who think they know Perl,
but aren't really part of the perl community" should mention them.

Some of the secret ops are actually awesome, used in production code,
and deserve to be better known. From the top of my head: 0+ !! @{[]} ()x!!

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 Friendship is just brotherhood with a choice of brothers.
                                                 (Moral from Groo #9 (Image))