Database Design Advice

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 11:58:23 GMT 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:

> • Separate fields for discount_percentage and discount_amount. This has
>   the disadvantage of needing to ensure that a record doesn't have both
>   fields set.
>
>   If the business concocts another discount type in future, this will
>   require a field for each discount type.

I'd probably actually go for this and a trigger. The particular case
of discounts means it's unlikely they'll add another, and this seems
like the most straightforward way to deal with it.

Relational databases aren't always great for modelling things, so when
it's unclear what's the best solution, it's usually best to go for
simple.

James