BT Wifi turns off SSL for Google Search!?

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Tue Mar 25 16:41:18 GMT 2014

William Blunn writes:

> I was just using Google over BT Wifi when I noticed a little yellow
> box in the corner
>
> "SSL search is off
>
> This network has turned off SSL search, so you cannot see
> personalised results.
>
> The security features of SSL search are not available. Content
> filtering may be in place.
>
> Learn More | Dismiss"

Thanks for the tip-off. I also saw that this morning on BT Wifi, but I
probably wouldn't have realized what it meant without having already
read your message explaining it.

> It transpires that Google provides a service to assist network admins
> in turning off SSL access to Google Search. WTF!?
>
> http://www.seroundtable.com/turn-off-google-ssl-search-17477.html

It's amusing that the people get most upset about Google using SSL for
searches are SEO ‘experts’, who apparently deem the lack of Referer:
header that comes with that to be some kind of breach of their human
rights

> It seems that BT Wifi have decided to implement this for their
> customer-facing network. ... The point is that BT Wifi are
> deliberately meddling in something that's not their place to meddle
> in.

Quite.

Smylers
--