XP-Replacement for Parents

Alex Balhatchet kaoru at slackwise.net
Thu Mar 27 12:07:33 GMT 2014

> • Ubuntu:  The OS will install, but I don't know if Mum's scanner will
>   work with it, and I'm pretty sure it won't work in the same way, where
>   pressing a physical button on the scanner causes some HP application
>   to open on the desktop with the scanned document.

This may work quite well. I've had good experience with the mixture of
HP hardware and Ubuntu. The "HP Toolbox"[0] is ugly but functional.

Ubuntu also comes with an application called Simple Scan which comes
up if you go to the "dash" and type "Scan". Dragging that to the Dock
or the Desktop would give your Mum a big button to click on on the
screen when she wants to scan something.

Trying it out now it looks like when I go to the HP Toolbox and click
"Scan" on $work's[1] HP OfficeJet Pro L7700 does just open the Simple
Scan application.

On another topic if you want something that looks like Windows XP but
acts like Ubuntu I've read good things about Lubuntu[2].

Hope that's helpful,

- Alex

[0] http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=hplip
[1] Not to be parsed as $work::s