XP-Replacement for Parents

Andrew Beverley andy at andybev.com
Thu Mar 27 12:32:37 GMT 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-27 at 11:48 +0000, Smylers wrote:
> Options that I can see:
>
> • Ubuntu:

I moved my parents onto Ubuntu (now Mint) after getting fed up with many
"support" calls with things not working in Windows. They took to Ubuntu
with no problems at all, and I now got far fewer requests to help them
out.

>   The OS will install, but I don't know if Mum's scanner will
>   work with it, and I'm pretty sure it won't work in the same way, where
>   pressing a physical button on the scanner causes some HP application
>   to open on the desktop with the scanned document.

I can't comment on that particular example, but I've found recent
hardware support to be excellent. It always Just Works (except for my
Dad's GPS...)

Andy