XP-Replacement for Parents

Raphael Mankin raph at mankin.org.uk
Thu Mar 27 16:51:58 GMT 2014

Much depends on the age of the current machine.

I have run Gentoo+Gnome with OK-ish performance on a 400MHz (remember
them?) single processor with 512MB RAM.

On the same machine Ubuntu with full Gnome was distinctly sluggish. Just
too many daemons running.

That the scanner is wireless should not matter. Write a 'live' Ubuntu to
a memory stick (Ubuntu will no longer fit on a CD), boot that and
install the extra drivers for your scanner. It may take a bit of guess
and fiddle to work out just which drivers you need. Then you can be sure
whether it works or not.

I do not use Windows, but AFAIK XP->Win7 is an upgrade, not a wipe and
re-install. However, depending on the speed of the CPU, the amount of
memory, disk size etc, it may run like a dog. YMMV.