Finding the intersection between two regexes

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Apr 21 11:24:57 BST 2014

On 21/04/14 10:03, James Laver wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2014, at 09:45, Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> This may be related to the question I asked recently about turning (up to) a few hundred REGEXes into one giant REGEX. The goal being to test all those disparate REGEXes in the most efficient way possible on a string.
>
> Sounds like an implementation detail.

Yes, it is *the* implementation detail if one is writing a message
switch whose primary purpose is to route messages based on said lists of
regexes.

It's bad enough having just the one list of regexes on the one key, but
when there are hierarchical lists dealing with tuples of the type (data,
key1, key2, [...]), that "detail" really, really matters.

Oh and then there is the possible random ordering of the keys and one
may need regexes to choose which list of regexes to use.

Dirk