Dear Dr Who experts...

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Wed Oct 8 15:31:08 BST 2014

Quoting Nicholas Clark <nick at ccl4.org>:

> Dear Dr Who experts (I'm sure that there are many here)...
>
> IIRC there's a scene in an episode of Dr Who (in Tom Baker's time) where
> the Doctor escapes by climbing up through a hatch in the TARDIS ceiling,
> calling down a one liner to the Daleks stuck below just before he closes it
>
> 1) Am I remembering this correctly?
> 2) If so, is a clip of this online somewhere, in an easily linkable form? *

This rings a bell. But I'm not 100% convinced that it was a) the
Daleks or b) in the TARDIS. I'll try to prise the details loose from
my memory.

> Further, my understanding is that in the more recent episodes, the Daleks
> have figured out how to overcome their previous inability to cope with
> stairs, ladders, etc, uttering "levitate" before doing exactly that.
>
> 3) Is there a representative clip of this online?

The Daleks were often shown flying in 1960s comic strips.

They were first shown levitating in the TV Show in the cliffhanger at
the end of episode 1 of "Remembrance of the Daleks" in 1988.

The episode you're probably thinking of is "Dalek" from 2005. The
Dalek in that flies quite a lot.

YouTube might have clips. I'm afraid I don't have time to search.

Dave...