in town 28-30 nov - emergency meetup?

Gareth Harper spansh+london at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 12:54:59 GMT 2014

On 21 November 2014 12:28, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:

> The wifi in tube stations used to do that hateful and stupid and slow
> and unreliable webby login thing. A coupla months ago they stopped, and
> now my phone just connects and everything works. Yay.

Actually it still does.  I guess you're on vodafone who use their own app
which connects to the virgin wifi.

I believe the issue happens because after you've "logged in" Virgin Media
set a cookie, which when they see it adds you to the "allowed to use this"
list.  Because the andoird checked simply tries to connect to www.google.com
and gets the redirect it assumes you need to sign in (it could fetch the

It's more than a little annoying as I have access to the wifi both through
Three and because I have a Virgin Media account and I still have to load up
the damn splash page every time.  I'm seriously considering writing an app
which when it sees Virgin Media connects to the splash page and sends the
"this is me" cookie along so it'll just connect normally.  I'm a little
surprised noone else has done it yet to be honest.