Geolocation services: what's good, what's not?

Peter Sergeant pete at clueball.com
Wed Dec 3 01:18:06 GMT 2014

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 7:49 AM, Sam Kington <sam at illuminated.co.uk> wrote:

> What about IP addresses, though? What do people currently use for
> geolocation?

The first question I'd ask anyone considering using anything other than
MaxMind's Geo2IP product is "Why aren't you using MaxMind's Geo2IP product?"

Cheap, they've been around forever, they're a Perl house, excellent
quality, and the CPAN module are well developed. They've got a free
entry-level product which may well be accurate enough to suit your needs,
and then you can upgrade to their commercial product if you need it.

(They're also hiring telecommuters in the US and Canada, about which I have
more details, if anyone's interested)

-P