Thinking on Talks (parts I & II)

Graham Seaman graham at theseamans.net
Tue Dec 6 22:13:28 GMT 2005

Dirk Koopman wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 18:09 +0000, Graham Seaman wrote:
>

>>>No, my memory is that it blew up, though not on the same scale as
>>>Chernobyl. This would have been some time around 1961, and the wind
>>>carried the plume  across the country and dropped most of it on the East
>>>Midlands. Since one of my dad's jobs at the time was measuring
>>>radioactivity in grass consumed by local cows, I'm inclined to believe
>>>him in spite of the fact it was D-noticed out of the press.
>>>

>Do you mean 1961 or do you mean the "Windscale Fire" in 1957?
>
>http://www.bellona.no/en/energy/nuclear/sellafield/wp_5-2001/21871.html

Seems likely. But I would have been too young to remember discussions
about anything in 57, and we moved out of the area till 61, so I guess
my memory is of him looking at residual radiation in 61. Which would fit
with him saying there was nothing about it in the press and that
children were being made to drink milk which was dangerous for them: the
limited reporting in 57 would have stopped completely by then.

Graham