Pimm's heated?

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Mon Dec 26 11:59:57 GMT 2005

On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 09:10:40PM -0800, John Costello said:
> Someone[1] mentioned a pub serving Pimm's heated, in regards to one of the
> December meetings I believe.

This would be The Windmill near Oxford Circus.

> [1] I think it was Simon Wistow, but I could be wrong.

It is indeed.

> Could you elaborate on what goes into a heated Pimm's (not lemon-lime
> spritzer, but probably a slice of lemon)?  Guests are arriving in a
> couple of days and I want to offer them warm drinks that they have not
> tried.

I have to admit I've never actually made it but I'd imagine that it's
a cross between Pimms and Mulled Wine.

I'd start by putting the Pimms in a saucepan and then diluting it with
some water. Then start heating being sure not to let it get too hot and
evaporate the precious, precious alcohol.

Hmm, alcohol.

Then bung in some orange and apple slices. Some plums might be nice as
well.

How much you dilute it with water is up to you and the tastes of your
guests.

As an aside, and since I've never tried this only speculating, Pimms is
quite bitter undiluted and so you might need to either add some sugar
(diluting in some boiling water first will make it easier to add) or
substitute some of the water for orange or apple juice in order to up
the sweetness.

Do let us know how it goes.

Simon