New books from Apress

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Thu May 25 00:56:20 BST 2006

On 24 May 2006, at 23:38, Peter Corlett wrote:
> Here's some other ROM images for you to play with:
>
> http://www.mdfsnet.f9.co.uk/Software/BBCBasic/BBC/

Haha! Thanks. I'll chomp through them.

> You seem to have hardwired HIMEM in your emulator whereas it should
> arguably
> change itself based on the kind of ROM loaded. When I hack your
> code to load
> a "HiBasic 3" image and use the correct value of HIMEM, I get this:
>
> mabuse at dopiaza:~/65Perl02$ ./65Perl02.pl
>> PRINT ~PAGE
>        800
>> PRINT ~HIMEM
>       B800
>> PRINT HIMEM-PAGE
>      45056
>>

> ... which sure beats the 1900-7C00 I have on the real Beeb here.

Ah yes - I forgot about the ROM relocation address stuff. I'll bung
that in. You'll note that I'm using the Tube ROM space at &F800 as a
general purpose scratch area - for example Perl error messages that
are being sent to the beeb get copied there. If you compacted that
area you could build a custom ROM image and load it even higher :)

> Your 6502 emulator lacks a few instructions to get the BBC Master's
> BASIC
> going though. Wish for a rainy bank holiday :)

They shouldn't be too hard to add - but I was getting keen to start
using it by the time I got to them :)

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net