DNS services

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Thu May 25 11:10:40 BST 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:15:55AM +0100, me said:
> 1. Use Joker's system (which I loathe)
> 2. Run my own DNS server (which I'd rather not)
> 3. Pay someone like DynDNS or EasyDNS (which, IMO are overpriced)
> 4. Get a friend to run it (which is very nice of them but they don't
>    have the infrastructure of, say DynDNS and still requires me editing
>    config files)
>
> I know how to do 1, 2 and 4 so it's solving 3 that I care about.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm going to take a squiz at ZoneEdit and
see what that's all about but otherwise I shal resign my self to keeping
on running my own server.

It occurred to me that it might be worth setting up a system by where
you register your domains in a database at London.pm.org and then agree
to act as a secondary for all those domains.

Then, you set up your secondary, tertiary, quaternary (quinary, senary,
septenary, octonary, nonary, denary ...) DNS servers from that list.

If all the dns servers embedded LOC records then it would be possible to
suggest a good geographic spread of servers.

Running a cron job could poll the database and allow you to update the
domains you should be secondarying.

I shall ponder more but comments welcome. Beware the walrus though.

Simon