DNS services

the hatter london.pm at bang.meep.org
Thu May 25 18:03:44 BST 2006

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Simon Wistow wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions - I'm going to take a squiz at ZoneEdit and
> see what that's all about but otherwise I shal resign my self to keeping
> on running my own server.

Have you not found any web-based zone editing software that runs on your
own server ?  Not like the overhead is particularly high to run either
service, I'd think something must exist out there, half the ISPs on the
planet need it, all the registrars do, and you can't be the only geek
that's bored with doing it manually, or have users how aren't trusted to
do it manually.  Then there's no charge regardless of number of domains,
and no restrictions on which registrar your name is with.  Surely
/someone/ has released their code.

> It occurred to me that it might be worth setting up a system by where
> you register your domains in a database at London.pm.org and then agree
> to act as a secondary for all those domains.
>
> Then, you set up your secondary, tertiary, quaternary (quinary, senary,
> septenary, octonary, nonary, denary ...) DNS servers from that list.

Or many secondaries - unless you're doing something bizarre and unhealthy
transfering zones down the line between them.  I suspect it's easier to
manage a few people secondary for all the domains.  Would be horrible
managing a list of authoratitive servers correct at the registrar with all
sorts of toyboxes appearing and disappearing.

> Running a cron job could poll the database and allow you to update the
> domains you should be secondarying.

I'd also rather know who I'm trusting to have correct data, though I don't
care whose domains I'm secondarying, if they don't.

So, who's up for a many to few mapping, if I say so myself I've got a
pretty reliable hosting arrangement (and likely to have two differently
reliable ones soon) and already secondary for assorted folk, so I'd be
happy to help anyone/anyorg that can give me a list of domains and where
to primary them from.

the hatter