Class::DBI and stalinesque hiding of THE TRUTH

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Mon Jun 26 10:42:35 BST 2006

Quoting Ovid <publiustemp-londonpm at yahoo.com>:

> [...]

It is a great book (see my review at
http://dave.org.uk/reviews/dbdepth.html) but it's not one that you
could seriously expect to be read by everyone who just wants to build
a database backend for their web site's forum.

> Did I tell y'all the one about the company which used the customer's
>  phone number as the key to their sales history?  Took me a while to
>  figure that one out.  Made me want to issue a "DROP TABLE" command
> with a chainsaw.  Of course, since I was forbidden to make any
> changes to the database ... :(

If we're trading database horror stories. The music database I worked
on takes some beating. They had a table for artists. But the list of
tracks available from that artist was a comma separated text field in
the artist table. Actually it was _three_ comma separated text fields
in the artist table, one for the title, one for the filename and one
for a boolean flag indicating that the track could be downloaded.
Lucky for them that song titles never contain commas isn't it. Oh.
Wait...

Luckily for me, I was able to treat this database as a "prototype" and
rebuild it from scratch.

Dave...

--
Site: http://dave.org.uk/