perl/XS/C IDEs

danny staple danny at orionrobots.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 18:16:55 BST 2006

On 27/06/06, Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk> wrote:
> <tin_hat>
>  <flame_resistant_clothing>
>   Can anybody recommend an IDE that works on *nux that does a better
>   than vi(m) or (x)emacs?.
>  </flame_resistant_clothing>
> </tin_hat>

Command line or GUI?

If its a GUI, take a look at SciTe - Its not as heavyweight as things
like Eclipse/Epic, but handles perl fairly well, and does many nice
things like tabbed editor panes, syntax highlighting (and possible
auto-completion), configurable build/run/debug tools and folding
blocks.

It uses the scintilla text component, and also runs in windoze too.

If its command line, well I am afraid it really is vi(m) or emacs. I
wont say my preference of the two, but have used both at different
points throughout time. I hear Nano is easy and lightweight, but is
hardly an IDE.

Danny
--
Danny Staple MBCS