Dry running a CPAN install

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Jun 5 13:38:24 BST 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 09:59:55AM +0100, Andrew Black wrote:

> Is there a way of dry running a CPAN install - if I want to install
> Widget::Fred that needs Widget::Fred::Joe which needs
> XXX::Half::of::CPAN which needs.......
>
> It would be nice to know whether isntalling is going to be an easy job
> or a take you all morning sorting out hte dependencies.

perl -MCPAN -e '$CPAN::Config->{prerequisites_policy} = "follow";
  test(qw(Widget::Fred))'

You might also be able to glean useful information from the CPAN testers
site.  If it automagically passes its tests, it should automagically
install just fine.  If it needs crazy external Stuff then expect to see
few results, or lots of UNKNOWNs and FAILs.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

    You are so cynical.  And by "cynical", of course, I mean "correct".
         -- Kurt Starsinic