What do perl lovers like about python?

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Wed Aug 22 23:38:16 BST 2007

On 22 Aug 2007, at 18:08, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>> [0] http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882
>
> If I find myself writing code at full typing speed, I think I'm
> probably
> writing too much code.

Yes I agree. Specifically I sometimes myself enjoying the act of
programming so much that I've written a load of stuff that works
perfectly but is unnecessary. YAGNI is one of the most useful lessons
I've learnt in the last few years - but I still forget and only wake
up a few hundred lines later.

>   "When you're writing working code nearly as fast as you can type and
>   your misstep rate is near zero, it generally means you've achieved
>   mastery of the language."
>
> For me, that illustrates the difference in waterbed theory between the
> languages.  I've written and read a fair bit of python code.  I find
> that the smallness of the language limits me and tends to sanction
> verbosity.

I wonder. Yes, possibly - but I decided that if I knew Python as well
as I know Perl I'd be able to use it to write code I liked just as
much - although possibly for different reasons. Fuck that's vague :)

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net